Sunday, September 29, 2013
Things I've learned about being mormon
So once i decided to get baptized I realized that I would need to actually meet with the missionaries...so I set up an appointment and a knot immediately formed in my tummy. The day came for the first meeting, and I was so nervous. Meeting the missionaries was amazing! my missionary is from long beach California! I knew it was a sign. It's been fun because I knew a lot more than I thought I did and they were impressed which makes it fun because then we can talk about things in much deeper context. During this time we have been going to church and of course there are some days that you can feel the spirit and other days when I realize why I hated going to church. I figured out that testimony meeting is not the worst sunday....the worst sunday is called "Primary Program". This was not something i was prepared for and can honestly say that if someone ever wanted to torture me they could make me sit through that for hours. A big part of it was that I like to sit close since kids are noisy and also because people invite so many family members that even though we got there early we had to sit on metal chairs....ouch on your back. It was a very sad Sunday indeed. I also learned that paying tithing was not terrible, meeting with the bishop was not scary, and that my husband has an amazing testimony and makes me cry all the time because even though he tells me that i inspire him....it's really him who has inspired me so much in my life. I've also learned that when people call me sister taylor i laugh uncontrollably....as my sister put it "you're laughing because it makes you sound old and mormon" This is true but i will get used to it. I've also learned that going to church for three hours is not bad at all and it's amazing to hear some peoples testimony. I have also learned that there are people who definitely think they are better than others who are non mormon so i've pinned them as people i dont want to associate with. I've learned that when you share really personal stories about the spirit with LDS people they usually cry with you instead of laugh, and that everyone is really supportive. I've learned that i like wearing skirts and i really want my own scriptures. (I've found some that are hot pink, so i'm just waiting to see when we can buy them). It's funny, today was fast sunday and I really almost went up even though i said i never would, because I think so many people think that they are just people, but if you want to be a true missionary of the church you have to lead by example and give the testimony of love and service. I wanted to tell them that they all radiate light and happiness, and above all else love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Note to self: don't invite Mandi to our Primary Program...although you may learn to love it! ;) Glad it's going mostly well!
Post a Comment